White bean, kale and pearl cous cous soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 2 thyme sprig plus extra sprigs, to garnish
- 400 g 400g tin diced tomatoes
- ½ cup pearl couscous Israeli
- 1 400g tin of butter beans rinsed, drained
- 200 g kale 2 cups shredded
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 4 wholegrain sourdough roll toasted, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery and thyme. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the canned tomatoes to pan with 3 cups of water. Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the couscous to pan and simmer for 5 minutes, until couscous is tender. Add rinsed butter beans, kale and vinegar. Simmer soup for 2–3 minutes, or until kale has wilted. Divide the soup between 4 serving bowls and garnish with extra thyme. Serve with toasted wholegrain sourdough rolls.