Tomato braised egg
- 800 g 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 spring onion Finely slice white and green parts (reserve a few tablespoons of latter for garnish)
- 2 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Egg
- 4 slice of wholegrain toast
- Place a wide frying pan over a low heat. Add olive oil.
- Add green onions and crushed garlic to pan and cook slowly heat over low-medium heat, stir often.
- When garlic starts to turn golden add the cumin, stir until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes further until the paste starts to darken.
- Add chopped tomatoes and pepper.
- Simmer mixture over a low heat for 10 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl. Make a small hole in the sauce, tip egg in. Repeat for all eggs.
- Cook eggs very gently over a low heat until the whites are just set, or cooked to your liking, about 6 – 8 minutes.
- Scatter reserved sliced green onions and serve with crunchy wholegrain toast. Serve immediately.
- If you have a lid covering the pan it will help the eggs cook more evenly. The eggs will continue to cook in the heat of the pan so serve immediately or turn off the heat a little before they are completely cooked.
- Garnish with a handful of herbs e.g. parsley or coriander
- To boost your veggie intake, serve with Basic mushroom & spinach side