Choc jaffa cupcakes
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 Finely grated zest orange plus 4 tablespoons juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Egg
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup cocoa powder sifted, mixed to a paste with 4 tablespoons boiling water
- ⅓ cup icing sugar sifted
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder sifted
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4–5 teaspoons orange juice
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Put all the cake ingredients in a large bowl, then whisk with an electric mixer for 2–3 min until smooth and well combined.
- Divide the cake batter among the cupcake cases, then bake for 15–18 min until the cupcakes are just firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly in the tin, then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and leave to cool completely. If freezing, put the cupcakes in a sealed container at this point and freeze. Thaw before completing the icing.
- Mix all the icing ingredients together in a bowl until smooth, then spread the mixture over the cupcakes.