Vegan walnut & pear cake
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon ground chia or flaxseed
- ½ cup powdered sweetener
- 2 teaspoon ground sweet cinnamon
- ½ cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- ⅔ cup reduced fat soy milk or calcium fortified almond milk
- 1 orange zest and 3 tbsp of juice
- 3 small–medium pears about 450g, peeled and chopped into 1cm cubes
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Line a 20cm square cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, chia or flaxseed, sweetener, cinnamon and walnuts. In a jug, combine the oil, almond or soya milk, orange zest and juice. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with the pears until combined, then spoon into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly in the tin, then cut into squares.