Roasted pumpkin & chicken risotto
- 300 g butternut pumpkin cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 2 medium courgettes cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 red capsicum cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 3 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 250 g skinless chicken breast diced
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 2 celery stalk finely chopped
- 2 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage plus extra leaves, to garnish
- 1 cup pearl barley
- ¹⁄³ cup white wine
- ¼ cup grated parmesan plus extra, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place pumpkin, zucchini and capsicum on prepared tray. Lightly spray with olive oil and bake for 25–30 minutes, or until golden.
- Heat the chicken stock and 1 cup of water in a medium saucepan over a high heat. Bring the stock to the boil, then reduce heat to very low and keep at a gentle simmer.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a high heat. Cook chicken, stirring, for 2–3 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Add remaining oil, onion and celery; cook over medium heat, stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and sage; cook for 1 minute more. Add barley; stir until the grains are well coated.
- Add the wine and simmer until it is almost evaporated. Start adding the stock a ladleful at a time. Cook, stirring, until almost all the stock has evaporated before adding another ladleful.
- Once you have added all of the stock, and the barley is al dente and creamy (this will take about 25–30 minutes), add reserved chicken, roasted vegetables and parmesan. Season with cracked black pepper and stir to combine; remove from heat. Cover, allow risotto to stand for 5 minutes, before serving sprinkled with extra parmesan (if using) and sage leaves.