Mexican-style beef and quinoa bowls
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.4 kg beef blade roast trimmed of fat, cut into 3cm chunks
- 1 brown onion thinly sliced
- 3 garlic clove crushed
- 30 g sachet reduced-salt taco seasoning
- 3 wide strips orange peel
- 2 cup salt reduced beef stock
- 1 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 3 cup cooked quinoa
- 400 g can no-added salt black beans rinsed, drained
- 500 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado chopped
- ⅓ cup pickled sliced jalapeños drained
- ½ cup Fresh coriander to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish with fitted lid over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add beef and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer beef to a bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in same dish. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes or until onion has softened. Add seasoning and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add orange peel, stock, tomatoes and ¾ cups water, stirring to combine.
- Once mixture comes to the boil, return beef to dish, cover and cook for 2 hours. Remove lid and cook for a further 1–1¼ hours or until beef is tender. Using two forks, shred beef.
- Divide quinoa among six serving bowls. Top each with beef, black beans, tomatoes, avocado and jalapeños. Serve garnished with fresh coriander.