Gluten-free quinoa and pomegranate salad
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 1 ½ cup frozen broad beans
- 1 pomegranate
- 4 spring onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin check that it is gluten-free as some can contain wheat
- 2 teaspoons fresh mint chopped
- Rinse the quinoa in a sieve under the cold tap, then transfer to a medium pan with 1 cup water and bring it to the boil. Cover and simmer over a gentle heat for 15 min or until all the cooking water has been absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water (enough to cover the broad beans) to the boil, add the beans and cook for 2–3 min until tender. Drain the broad beans, then put in a bowl and cover with cold water to cool them quickly. When cool, use your fingers to pop them out of their grey skins, revealing the brilliant green beans inside.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients, if using, then toss with the beans and set aside.
- Remove the pomegranate seeds by cutting the fruit in half around its equator and while holding one half over a bowl(cut-side down), bang the fruit with a wooden spoon to release the shiny red seeds; repeat with the other half. Add the broad beans and pomegranate seeds to the cooked quinoa, along with the chopped spring onions and season to taste with black pepper.