Beef and broccoli pasta bake
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic clove finely chopped
- 400 g lean beef mince
- 1 400g tin of no-added-salt red kidney beans
- 600 g tomato coarsely chopped
- 1 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 250 g wholemeal penne
- 1 bunch broccolini chopped
- ⅓ cup parmesan grated plus 2 tablespoons shaved parmesan
- 100 g mixed salad leaves
- 1 Lebanese cucumber halved, sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ whole whole cauliflower chopped
- 4 carrot sliced
- Thinly slice half the capsicum. Set aside for salad. Finely chop remaining half. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Sauté onion, garlic and chopped capsicum, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add beef and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add all tomatoes and bring to the boil. Add Cauliflower and carrots and reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until sauce thickens and tomatoes break down.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water until al dente. Add broccolini for last minute of cooking time. Drain. Stir pasta, kidney beans and broccolini into tomato sauce. Lightly grease an 8-cup capacity baking dish. Add pasta-broccolini mix.
- Preheat grill. Sprinkle pasta bake with grated parmesan. Grill for 5–10 minutes, or until cheese is golden.
- Meanwhile, combine salad ingredients with shaved parmesan and vinegar. Serve pasta with salad.